Thursday, July 2, 2009

Who is Sebastian Jackson?

ok yes, this has to do with Walk the Moon. but FIRST, before you do ANYTHING, you have to go to the Birthday Boy website and listen to the song "Man on the Moon".

done? ok, NOW explanation.
Birthday boy is a side project of a couple Walk the Moon guys and they did a version of "Man on the Moon" with the full band for their B-sides album, calling it "The Ballad of Sebastian Jackson".

I became kind of fascinated with the character of Sebastian. what kind of passion, or insanity, drives someone off the cliff and maybe out of their mind? how did he get that way? where did it all start? (this is just my musing; there's more but i'll be short-winded. I still haven't asked Nicholas for his explanation.) completely disjointed from the Sebastian musings, I made the character of the moon man for the packaging of 'The Anthem EP' for the guys last summer, and it wasn't until 3 months ago that it dawned on me WHO the moon man might be. could this odd and empty universe he wanders through be Sebastian's purgatory/afterlife/whatever?

so, here we pick up the thread of Sebastian's life (or death), after he jumped off the edge. but as the end of the song makes me question, did his soul really fall back to earth?




these are pretty rough, brush pen/micron/tomboe marker; but figuring out all the word balloons within the roughs worked really well! (inspired by scott mccloud's roughs for ZOT in that respect.) i think i'll adopt that technique for my other projects as well. and maybe someday I'll REALLY draw this one. :)

No comments: